The purpose of the IHN is to create a forum that will harmonize the efforts of First Nations, Métis and urban Indigenous health and social service providers toward creating a health system that:
- Meets the wholistic health needs of Indigenous Peoples across the region from an Indigenous perspective.
- Integrates traditional Indigenous knowledge and healing systems for healthy people and healthy communities.
- Commits to input from Indigenous communities regarding present and future programs and services.
- Improves the capacity of a broad range of system partners to contribute to improved health outcomes of Indigenous Peoples.
- Through designated staff leads, liaises with Ontario Health West to ensure decisions are positively impacting Indigenous Peoples’ health status and access to services.
The IHN’s mandate is to provide Indigenous health and social service providers and Ontario Health the opportunity to work in collaboration to address the health needs and issues of Indigenous communities.